Saturday, May 5, 2012

Poetry Immersion

I started getting ideas for a week of poetry writing immersion from a list online and have found wonderful ideas!  We will start with a study of list poems on Monday with poems from Honey, I Love by Eloise Greenfield and Spectacular Science by Lee Bennett Hopkins.  Then on Tuesday we will take a look at The Dark Emperor and Butterfly Eyes... by Joyce Sidman.  I found an article about her and discovered she was inspired by a poem by Wendell Berry:  To Know The Dark.  He is one of my favorite poets and authors so down the "rabbit hole" I went!  Wednesday we will look at The Great Frog Race by Kristine O'Connell George especially looking at the poem "Quiddling with Words".  Thursday...will be shape poems looking at Doodle Dandies by J. Patrick Lewis and other fun books.  Then Friday we will look at the poetry of Douglas Florian specifically Insectlopedia.  That's what I love about the Internet, I can pull this all together and get wonderful ideas that I would have never had on my own.

To Know The Dark
by Wendell Berry

To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.

No comments:

Post a Comment