Monday, March 17, 2014

March 17, 2014



"It has never struck me as harmful to make a conscious effort to elevate one's thoughts, in the hope that by doing so one's writing will get off the ground, even if only for a few seconds (like Orville Wright) and to a low altitude. I am an egoist, inclined to inject myself into almost everything I write. This usually calls for good taste, if one is to stay alive. I'm not against good taste in writing, however unpopular it may be today."   E. B. White.
    
    If E. B. thought good taste was gone when he was writing, how much more so is that a fact today.  I would rather reflect on the beauty of life around me, than to try to be witty and use expletives sprinkled throughout my writing as so many authors and bloggers do today.  It seems shock value is more popular that fine tuning our words.  So I will continue to go back in time to find mentors for my writing... and I don't think I will have any regrets.




   

No comments:

Post a Comment