Monday, June 4, 2012

Monday Morning Warmup-Childhood Kitchen

My grandma Laura's kitchen is something that comes to my mind every so often.  Her kitchen was special because she was the very embodiment of love, and she loved food.  Her kitchen always smelled of dark, rich coffee and if I get a whiff of that anywhere, I am instantly back in her kitchen.  She always had a European style cherry kuchen in the oven with the door ajar.  When there were extended family meals there was always a ham, and many kinds of olives set out to accompany it.  She had a warm Old World kitchen with old fashioned gadgets and interesting things to look at.  When she moved to a smaller, newer house as she aged I grieved at first...but her new kitchen took on the persona of the old one.  It was her, and her love, and the food she loved to share with us that made her kitchen memorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment