Tuesday, February 11, 2014

February 11, 2014


"Oh would some power the gift give us, To see ourselves as others see us."Robert Burns
     Yesterday was a day so full of twists and turns that I awoke early today and couldn't get back to sleep with all the thoughts circling in my mind.  I like to sort things out but some of these thoughts are unsortable.
     It comes back to the quote above, the way people behave with a kind of tunnel vision, so self absorbed they don't see that they are sabotaging their own lives.  Whenever I have thoughts like this I know it is time for some self reflection. 
     How do others see us?  To be socially aware, one has to think that there is usually a grain of truth in the criticisms aimed at us.  As painful as that may be, we won't grow as a person without addressing the criticism in some way.  I suppose I should be thankful that I am over sensitive to criticism so it has kept any ego I might have had in check. Then again it isn't a good way to live, always cowering in fear of offending someone.  Somehow there has to be a balance.  We need to check ourselves every day against what others are saying or doing around us.  There is always need for improvement and prayerful consideration of being more thoughtful of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment