Thursday, February 13, 2014

February 13, 2014

    With Valentines Day on the horizon, thoughts of romance are on the mind.  Since it is the day before, I will allow myself to write on the subject of failed romance...
   Growing up as a bookworm and with a love of musicals like 'Oklahoma' and 'South Pacific' I had a pretty skewed view of what romance would look like.  The plot would move just like in a novel: rising action, a problem, problem overcome, solution, and the happy ending.  Real romance is much messier than that, for me the problem usually came with the happy ending.  I thought I would be fine ending a relationship, that was a horrible experience so I resolved never to be the one to end it again.  Therefore I stayed in a relationship well past the expiration date and when he ended it I was devastated again.  I often wondered why I had to learn these lessons so painfully.  Now I have my answer: to understand and help my children go through their own.
  With my first heartbreak, my mother watched me suffer and told me later she didn't know what to do to help me so she left me alone.  She was a wonderful mother in our childhood, but didn't really understand teenage girls and she had four of them at one time! (I can't even fathom that.) So it means so much to me to be able to help my children through those rough times.
   I know I have written about my older sister a lot since January, and not just because she has become my most devoted reader.  I must mention how much she helped me through my second failed attempt at romance.  She was there for me during my darkest days and didn't let me flounder through them alone.  I don't know what I would have done without her.
   But finally I stood on my own, with my battle scars and the Lord led me to the right person for me. Tomorrow I will write more about him...

No comments:

Post a Comment