Saturday, January 11, 2014

January 11, 2014

     I love how sometimes getting prepared for the next week of school can take me out of myself and bring me a new focus.  This week we will be reading Me and Uncle Romie by Claire Hatfield.  I have to be honest, I had never heard of Romare Bearden before we started using Storytown Reading series.  It opened up a world unknown to me: the Harlem Renaissance.  I can now tie together Langston Hughes for poetry, Duke Ellington and Louis Armstrong for music, Romare Bearden and Jacob Lawrence for art and When Aunt Lena Did the Rhumba for dance into a rich, deep learning experience of Black History.
    In doing so, it took away some of the stings and disappointments of this past short week back at school and brought me back to why I do this: to grow along with them.  (And of course always, to do my best for Him.)

No comments:

Post a Comment