Sunday, January 19, 2014

January 19, 2014

  The faint sound of a plane engine overhead brings me back to lazy summer days of childhood, lying on my back in the grass, chewing on a blade of grass watching the plane soar overhead.  It made me long for those days, and then I compared that feeling to that of my elderly parents.  They could feel that way now if they chose to, not a care in the world, being taken care of, yet they fight it every step of the way and feel useless.  
      When we mature,  we get so used to being in charge it is so hard to let go when we aren’t able to anymore.  They used to call ‘senior moments’ ‘being in your second childhood’.  I like that so much better, it has a more positive spin, even though it was meant sarcastically.  We slip backwards into helplessness, and need to be taken care of again.  Why can't we embrace it?  Sit back and listen to the plane engine overhead, watch the clouds scud across the sky.  Why is it so hard?  Because everything is behind us now, instead of ahead?  We know what we have become, instead of dreaming of what will be?  
     Much food for thought today.

No comments:

Post a Comment