Saturday, January 4, 2014

January 4, 2014

  You know you are deep into winter when the sun rises at 7:22 am.  It is to be so bitter cold here that area schools have canceled classes for Monday 3 days in advance.  This will lengthen our Christmas break by another day, so there is much reason for happiness.  I have been learning to weave which is very therapeutic, although humbling and frustrating as well.  It took forever to set up the loom and untangle the yarn once I had made a mess of it.  I thought of how when I was younger I would have already given up, and felt an ounce of pride for persevering.  I will probably have to restart for the second time, but I cut myself some slack since I don't have all the weaving tools.  Women in the pioneer days spent the winter weaving, according to Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder, so it is a wonderful feeling to experience a bond with the past, and hopefully have a beautiful scarf to wear before winter ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment