Friday, March 16, 2012

Slice of Life Day 16

Today we will celebrate the gift of maple sugar.  I quickly made a batch of silver dollar pancakes this morning so we have something to put our taste of syrup on.  I also brought dill pickles just for fun, since people in Vermont eat them along with their maple treats.  I thought about doing the raised doughnut dipped in syrup and then having them eat the dill pickle as the tradition goes, but not sure I want 22 sugared up children on a Friday afternoon!  Especially since it is supposed to be warming up again.  I think they learned a lot this week, and I especially enjoyed the beautiful writing of Kathryn Lasky in Sugaring Time.  I mentioned to them that nonfiction can have beautiful writing too.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know this tradition of dill pickles + maple syrup. I'll have to give it a try around our Hoosier table. And it might be the kind of detail I wan to keep and use in a fiction story someday. :)
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete