Saturday, March 24, 2012

Slice of Life Day 24

This week when we were looking at An Author's Story by Helen Lester she mentioned that her characters were students she had but in her stories she would make them animals.  I thought it would be fun to chart what they would like to be if I wrote a story about them.  We went around the circle and when we got to Matt he said "Yale."  Well, I've heard of Yale Univ. but not the animal so we looked it up.  He inspired all the other students imaginations by mentioning this mythical animal and then he said "Can you look up manticore?" and we had another fantastic looking animal.  I learn so much from this interesting little boy that one day I said "Matt, I think it's so great that you have all these ideas, do you get them from what you read?"  He answered as only Matt can, "Nope.  Video games."

2 comments:

  1. Drat, a video game takes the place of books. Did your heart sink with that revelation? The good thing is it led to questioning and searching for answers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had that thought too like Elsie, but we have to embrace some of this because this is the world of our students. There's no denying it. I like the idea of the students making characters of people but instead portraying them as animals. Gives me something to think of. Thanks for sharing. How about as insects or plants? :) Happy slicing? :)

    ReplyDelete