Saturday, March 17, 2012

Slice of Life Day 17

I have filled my Facebook page with educational topics as well as friends so I'm constantly getting new ideas, more than I could ever use...but that is a good thing!  I mentioned the other day that I was reading an article by Judy Willis on brain research and as I read it I kept thinking, I have stumbled onto some of these ideas just by reading and brainstorming on how to solve every day classroom problems.  Last year we had quite a problem with bullying so I did research on how to cope with that.  We started having daily or weekly meetings to talk about the problem and I continued that this year, even though we don't have that same issue.  Well lo and behold that came up in the brain research article:  when you have them work together to resolve their problems they are making  brain connections they can use the rest of their lives.  It is so rewarding to kind of stumble onto doing something that is beneficial and then find out there is research backing it up beyond the purpose for which I first used it.

2 comments:

  1. I feel like I stumble onto goodness so much. I just wish I had the time to digest it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good use for Facebook. It is always gratifying to realize one is doing something right, isn't? That is something I am learning with this challenge. if I am motivated by positive feedback, I know my first graders are, too.

    ReplyDelete